SAT 16 NOVEMBER
10:30 - 10:35Welcome address from Moderator
10:35 - 10:45Through open skies – 8 decades of civil aviation in Dubai
10:45 - 11:30Panel discussion: Confronting barriers to airline digital transformation
This isn’t just any other discussion about the digital revolution, but a new twist to the conversation. Hear from airlines who are at the forefront of digitalization and how they have overcome the complex challenges that go hand in hand with innovation transformation.
• What are the risks of not implementing digitalization?
• Addressing major barriers to digital innovation
• How can a digital strategy improve passenger experience and what sort of industry collaboration would be required?
• AI & machine learning transforming the roles of pilots – what are the safety implications?
• How can airlines unlock commercial potential through digital infrastructure?
11:30 - 12:00Refreshments and networking break
12:00 - 12:45Panel discussion: The rise of low-cost, long-haul (LCLH) routes
As passengers continue to prioritize cost over everything else, budget travel is no longer reserved for short-haul flights. However, whilst everyone wants low cost travel, does the business model for LCLH work financially for airlines?
• If you can’t beat them, join them? How have LCLH flights affected legacy and full service carriers?
• Could interlining in the low cost/long haul market help longevity?
• Discussing lessons learned from Primera
• Where will ultra long haul models fit in an airlines future plan?
12:45 - 14:00Lunch and networking break
14:00 - 14:45Panel discussion: How can the huge potential in the African aviation market be realised?
As the continent that offers the most potential for aviation growth, why isn’t more being done?
Africa represents the last frontier in aviation but faces barriers for progression from political reason, to demand and infrastructure restraints. This session will consider how to advance Africa’s interconnectivity and international routes.
• Breaking down barriers to growth
• Creating intra-Africa services – African Open Skies policies
• What happens if these issues aren’t resolved?
14:45 - 15:30Pulling together – what is the right way forward?
For the final session of the day, and to encourage an open discussion with all attendees, we will invite some of the speakers on stage to share their key thoughts and take-aways on the topics that have been discussed, and on the other ‘elephants in the room’ that haven’t, including:
• The pilot shortage/engineers who trains, who pays? Experience, lock ins
• Environment and sustainability - as an industry, are we doing enough? Or taking right approach
• Subsidies and tariffs on OEMs - another trade war?
• Is liberalisation of air service and Open Skies under threat? Risking market access, limiting ownership and competition?
• What should the industry be doing about increasingly restrictionist and nationalistic political outlooks?
• What part do airports and ATC have to play?
15:30 - 15:45Closing remarks
15:45 - 17:00Evening networking reception
Network with other airline visionaries and futurists at our unique reception. Taking place at the rooftop lounge of the world’s tallest hotel overlooking Dubai Downtown, join us for an evening of canapés and cocktails before the week of the Dubai Airshow 2019 begins!